Is there any better feeling than coming home to a long holiday weekend? That moment when you walk in from the cold, drop your bags to the floor, and feel the comforting warmth of your home surround you. Break out the comfy pants, grandma's afghan, and the Christmas movie marathon--holiday hibernation has begun!
No matter when your Christmas vacation begins, we hope it's got cozy written all over it. After everything you've gone through the past year (and especially the past few weeks), you deserve it, baby!
To help you soup up your self-care this holiday weekend, we're gifting you the secret recipe for one of our most delicious holiday drinks. Say hello to The Grinch, an affectionate nickname for our delicious white chocolate peppermint matcha latte.
Just like the beloved Dr. Seuss character, this new Christmas classic may look a little off-putting at first if you're not used to the vibrant green color of our favorite superfood tea. But if you just give this tasty tea latte a chance, you'll find a syrupy sweet center that is perfectly offset by the brisk bite of peppermint and a kiss of matcha's grassy umami flavor.
And did we mention how this beautifully layered drink is also the perfect vehicle to show off your flair for gorgeous garnishes? If you're looking for something to treat your holiday guests, look no further! (We might also mention that the Grinch doesn't suffer at all from a drop or two of peppermint schnapps. Just sayin'.)
If you want to get in a little practice before taking on The Grinch, we've also included instructions for a few more holiday matcha concoctions. Try them out and post on IG to tell us which one you liked best!
Merry Matcha Recipes
from Keweenaw Coffee Works
Note: You'll need at least 2 oz. prepared matcha for all the recipes below.
To prepare matcha, whisk 1 heaping teaspoon matcha tea into 2 oz. hot (not boiling) water. You may want to give it another stir before adding to your recipe of choice.
Matcha Nog Latte
Warm or steam 3 oz. eggnog with 3 oz. whole milk. Add to your favorite mug, then top with 2 oz. prepared matcha. Dust with grated nutmeg and a sprinkle of sugar.
Matcha Cinnamon Cider
Fill a tall glass with ice, then layer 4 oz. apple cider, 1/2 oz. cinnamon simple syrup, and 4 oz. non-dairy milk. Top with 2 oz. prepared matcha.
Steep a teaspoon of your favorite peppermint herbal tea in 6 oz. just-boiled water. Strain into your favorite mug, then top with 2 oz. prepared matcha.
Chai Matcha Latte
Steep a teaspoon of loose-leaf chai tea (not chai concentrate) in 6 oz. just-boiled water. Strain into your favorite mug, then add your favorite sweetener to taste. (We like maple syrup.) Whisk 2 oz. prepared matcha into 4 oz. warm milk (or non-dairy milk), then pour into mug on top of chai and sweetener. Stir to combine.
"The Grinch" White Chocolate Peppermint Matcha Latte
Ready to do it up holiday-style? Here we go!
1. Crush 1-2 peppermint candies or candy canes to a semi-fine powder. Add to a saucer or small dish.
2. In another small dish, add enough simple syrup (about 1 teaspoon) to fill the bottom just slightly.
3. Turn your favorite mug upside-down and gently dunk the rim in the simple syrup, turning once or twice to ensure rim is coated. Next, dunk the syrup-coated rim into the peppermint powder. Set mug aside.
4. In a small saucepan, melt 1 teaspoon chopped white chocolate or white chocolate chips together with the remainder of the peppermint powder. Heat gently until everything is melted and combined. Taste and add more chocolate or more peppermint, if desired.
5. Warm or steam 6 oz. milk and add to the peppermint-rimmed mug. Stir in about a teaspoon of white chocolate-peppermint sauce (more if desired).
6. Add 2 oz. prepared matcha to the mug and stir gently to combine. (We recommend using a candy cane to stir!)